Take the test and see if you are apathetic!
1. Which of the following best describes apathetic?
a) the "cool guy" who is under control
b) indifferent, a person without passion or feeling
2. Which of the following best describes a person in a pathetic
3. Which of the following best describes the word compassion?
4. Which best describes your attitude toward the condition of the
5. Do you think apathy results from:
6. Which best describes your attitude toward your spiritual condition
1. The root meaning of "apathetic" is actually (b) "without passion or feeling." However the typical "cool guy" is often very apathetic, except of course about himself. Self-centeredness is a major cause of apathy.
2. The depressed loser type is often quite pathetic, but the pathetic person is not necessarily a loser or depressed. Pathetic, being the opposite of apathetic, technically means (b) "one who has feeling, deep concern, sorrow, or grief." Actually, to be pathetic is not always so bad, it is to at least be in touch with reality instead of ignoring it. That is the first step in finding a solution. It can become depressing however, when the pathetic person has no course of action to address the problem.
3. Some people act compassionate for selfish reasons. Sincere compassion identifies with the pain of others, it is (b) "to feel grief or pain with another." However, if the compassionate person can offer no solution, he too is simply pathetic.
4. When people do not have solutions, they often become apathetic to escape being pathetic. Our obsession with privacy is really apathy. To adapt a quote, apathy has become the opiate of the people. People with solutions are usually zealous.
5. The lies and inconsistencies of others can never be an excuse for apathy. To hide behind a hypocrite, one must be smaller than the hypocrite. Apathy is the result of (a) lack of knowledge. The person who has no knowledge to address a problem has no course of action. Rather than making the effort required to attain knowledge, he or she chooses the selfish remedy to the pain, apathy. The Bible says in Ephesians 4:18-19 that the person who is ignorant (without knowledge) is alienated from the life of God (the solution). Then being past feeling (apathetic) becomes subject to all sorts of evil deeds (becomes part of the problem).
6. Many have become apathetic toward the world, eternity, and their own spiritual condition because they have rejected truth ( knowledge) about God. God is Spirit, and those who worship Him must worship in spirit and truth (John 4:24). No one, who really knows God, could be anything but zealous toward their personal spiritual condition and compassionately zealous toward the world.
What is "The Problem?"
"The problem" is the sinful condition of humanity in light of the perfect purity of God and His impending judgment. Have you ever lied (even once), stolen (the value is irrelevant), committed adultery (God considers lust to be adultery of the heart), killed (hatred is considered murder by God)? These are just four of the Ten Commandments! Be honest, you are guilty of breaking God's law. Without His forgiveness, you will not be saved but will be judged and found guilty. God has the one and only solution, but if people do not have knowledge and understanding of the problem, they are unable to receive the solution. Apathy is only a temporary anesthetic to cover the problem. On the Day of Judgment, apathy will have no place. There will only be the eternally pathetic and those who know God. It is not wise to procrastinate.
"The heart of the prudent acquires knowledge, And the ear of the wise seeks knowledge" (Prov 18:15).
What the wisest man who ever lived said about knowledge...
(Prov 1:7 NKJV) The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge, But fools despise wisdom and instruction.
(Prov 1:22 NKJV) "How long, you simple ones, will you love simplicity? For scorners delight in their scorning, And fools hate knowledge.
(Prov 1:28-29 NKJV) "Then they will call on me, but I will not answer; They will seek me diligently, but they will not find me.  Because they hated knowledge And did not choose the fear of the LORD,
(Prov 2:1-6 NKJV) My son, if you receive my words, And treasure my commands within you,  So that you incline your ear to wisdom, And apply your heart to understanding;  Yes, if you cry out for discernment, And lift up your voice for understanding,  If you seek her as silver, And search for her as for hidden treasures;  Then you will understand the fear of the LORD, And find the knowledge of God.  For the LORD gives wisdom; From His mouth come knowledge and understanding;
(Prov 10:14 NKJV) Wise people store up knowledge, But the mouth of the foolish is near destruction.
(Prov 12:1 NKJV) Whoever loves instruction loves knowledge, But he who hates correction is stupid.
(Prov 15:2 NKJV) The tongue of the wise uses knowledge rightly, But the mouth of fools pours forth foolishness.
(Prov 18:15 NKJV) The heart of the prudent acquires knowledge, And the ear of the wise seeks knowledge.
(Prov 19:27 NKJV) Cease listening to instruction, my son, And you will stray from the words of knowledge.
(Prov 24:5 NKJV) A wise man is strong, Yes, a man of knowledge increases strength;
...and much more!
Know God + Know His Plan = No Apathy!
© copyright 1999